Thursday, January 20, 2011

In my spare time...

In my spare time I have been know to potty train a toddler or two.
When I say "spare time" I mean "while I'm at work."
One thing I forgot to mention in my 'about me' post is that I am a nanny. Which I love. It is very convenient to have little ones who I can make all those cute crafty 'kid projects' for, but that I did not actually have to birth them myself. I've worked with this family since their youngest was 3 months old, and now he is almost 3 years old. He and I pal around all day while the older kids are at school. I recently taught him how to use the big boy potty, and he has been pretty consistent with going on his own. He picked it up like a natural.
This is all very ironic because I myself was not a natural. I was a bedwetter. And an occasional daytime pantswetter. It took a few solid years of dry sheets to move on, but now I can laugh about the fact that every member of my family referred to my bed as "Lake Amy," and about that time my mom had to bring me extra clothes (including shoes and socks) at school because I peed while on stage rehearsing for the second grade musical performance. It doesn't bother me anymore. It's like that time I went to camp with a secret stash of diapers in my suitcase never happened. And it's like every sleepover I ever went to at one of my friends' houses didn't end with that friend's mom sending me home with borrowed clothes and my wet jammies in plastic grocery bag. I'm completely over it.
I'm so over it that I potty trained a two year old without batting an eye. And he's a pro, so it totally cancels out all that other stuff.


Disclaimer: The blog title "A Case of the Yellows" was in no way influenced by urine. But now that I think about it, it's a little serendipitous.

No comments:

Post a Comment